Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beautiful Weather and Springtime Fun!

Wow!  I could live in this kid of weather FOR-EV-ER!  The sunshine and the signs of spring---  keep them coming is all I can say!  I have decided that we are going into the "not-quite-summer-yet prepared-ness mode" in my classroom.  You know, the things you do to keep them attentive so that you can try to get some kind of learning into them...  usually it starts the beginning of May, but we have WAY WAY WAY too much to do to let them start the coast mode! 

Steps to "not-quite-summer yet" summer preparedness:

1. LOTS of large motor movement breaks!  We do about 5-10 a day.  Many times in between centers and after sitting for more than 20 min.  Our latest fun has been dances on our Promethean Board and YOUTUBE!  

2.  Monitered movement-  somehow all this sun gets these kids motors running!  I have changed up some of my centers to be ones in which standing, throwing, and moving is involved.  Large number lines, sigh word toss, and write the room are good standbys.  I used a punching ball ballon to make a fun sight word toss.  We practiced how to use it today in a whole group and hopefully it will go well in the center tomorrow!

3. BUDDIES: Now that our state testing is over, we are using our 3rd grade buddies as much as we can.  The kids work hard during silent reading to practice for when we meet, and work to earn time wth them.  We are also starting to work with them to help with our writing.  The 3rd graders we buddy with are awesome role models.  LOVE THEM!

4.  Good old fashioned bribery! I am not too proud to offer a bribe!  Right now we are working to earn a day of chewing gum by filling up a gumball chart with circle stickers.  We are also going to work for a popcorn party with our 3rd grade buddies next.   I also offer incentives such as: if you work quietly during the center I will let you all lay on the floor when I read the next book or whoever is working hard gets to pick the next song we dance to!  Random lunches with me also perks them up a bit!

I LOVE spring and all the fun things that go with it!  I made a fun unit tied to the Common Core for First Grade and then added a bunch for my kindergarten teacher friends (and my son's class!)  It is all based on the sugary PEEPS!  I have added it to my slowly growing Teachers Pay Teacher's Store!

It has some fun books to use in shared reading, reading center activities, links to use with a SMART, PROMETHEAN, or other INTERACTIVE WHITE BOARD, Science, and Math.  All of it is adaptable for Kindergarten, First Grade, or anywhere in between!  It has been lots of fun and the kids are way excited to dive into the PEEPS sitting on our shelf!


Hope your day is great and you are getting the same awesome weather!  11 days until Spring Break! 
:) 
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment